Tuesday, November 27, 2012

THE INFAMOUS MAKE-UP MATTER

I am a huge believer that looking good and feeling good go hand in hand.  Self love always starts with self although things like hair, clothes and even make-up heighten a person's confidence.  I love all of these things but make-up is my obsession!!!  I like a number of brands; some high end, some department store brands, some drugstore brands, even brands that are carried in the beauty supply stores.  If it looks good I will try it and if I like it I will buy it consistently.  That is the way I have always been, I have never been a slave to brand names.  I have style..... and style is what allows us to create our own looks no matter what product or merchandise we use.

I am a member of a Facebook group called Makeup Matters, and I love it.  I have met so many people and learned so many things. The group has enlightened me about a lot of products and procedures.  It is a group of makeup lover who don't mind sharing(tips, information and products).  Last week when I checked into the group, I read a post that left me pissed off.  Someone had read and posted a thread in which Tyme The Infamous(popular makeup artist) was basically speaking  against using dupes(drugstore brand makeup).  She was saying that they are a waste of time.  She went on to say that you may as well spend the extra money to purchase department store brands such as M.A.C.

 The fact is many of the individuals in the group are just as talented as Tyme and that talent is visible using some of the same brands (dupes) that Tyme thinks isn't worth it.  Hell, personally I love Wet and Wild lip colors and I happen to know that a great number of the women in the group do too.  Personally I don't even consider them dupes.  They are what they are!!!!  Dollhouse Pink is just that, Wet and Wild was not trying to make an exact copy of  M.A.C. Saint Germaine because if they were the price point would be a lot higher.  Drugstore brands are not only for the poor woman who want to be almost as cute as the woman wearing NARS, it is for the fashion forward diva who enjoys makeup, looking good and refuses to be a slave to brands. 


The thing that angered me was not that she said it but that we all know she wasn't keeping it real.  Most of the ladies in the group are able to reminiscence on a time when her reviews included drugstore brands too.  More than anything it bothers me when keeping it real goes wrong, which is exactly what happened.  Just because you have gained fame and recognition, don't forget where you came from.  There was defiantly a time in your life, maybe when you were a humble girl in Denver,Co.  that you used Wet and Wild, Covergirl and other drugstore brands.  Now don't get me wrong, this is not an attempt to make light of Tyme's talent or the fact that she has over 72,000 subscribers and get more than 4 million views a year.  I just think that it is important to never allow fame to consume you, never forget your past and and never allow yourself to be define by anything other than your actions.  I really don't think that she was able to see the flaws in what she was saying.  The fact is many of Tyme's subscribers wear drugstore brand makeup and are fine with it.  It is not cool to let fame turn you into a bitch.  It is in no way cute to think that you can talk down on people because you have elevated.  Get it together sister, a lot of us love you and your work but can do without all of the extra bullshit because we can smell it a mile away. 



Electric blue eyeliner from NYX on the bottoms lip...with NYX eyeshadow base in white in the middle...lined my top lip with purple rain lipliner. And used the purple and the blue from my coastal scents creative me palette
Purple rain lipliner is from NYX.  LOOK CREATED AND MODELED BY:  Kim Concrete Rose Jone(Facebook.com/KimJLuvMakeup and instagram @KimJLuv)



Eyes: BH Cosmetics 88 matte palate
Lips: NK Lavender Tint
Cheeks: BH Cosmetics 10 color palate.  LOOK CREATED AND MODELED BY: Kawambee Dorsey (https://www.facebook.com/makeupbykawambeed)

Eyebrows:Bh cosmetic 180pallet brown
Concealer under brows: ruby kisses HD concealer in MED
Eyeshadows: BH Cosmetics
Top eyeliner: NYX liquid liner in blue
Bottom liner: NYX black eyeliner pencil and Bh cosmetic eyeshadow
Under eye concealer: Mary Kay foundation in color 300
Highlighter under eyes: ruby kisses HD powder banana
Lipstick: NK cosmetics (beauty supply brand) color lavender tint
Blush: plum rich Loreal.  LOOK CREATED MODELED BY:  Dani AnnaNicole Smith (@danianna_baby on IG)
                                 


1 comment: