Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Black History

I honor of black history month I want to start by giving you a little of my foundation. The origin of my strength, love and faith in God. 

The woman in the picture is Albertha Wheeler Mccoy (Mabert), born February 1, 1904. She was born and raised on an Indian reservation in Early County Georgia. Her mother a full blooded indian, her father a black man, Mabert and her siblings bore the resemblance of both parents ( soft long hair, smooth deep brown skin and piercing blueish gray eyes).  Albertha married John Mccoy(Grand daddy John)at a early age and started a family.  The Mccoy clan grew to 11 child but Mabert was a mother to many many more.

People who grew up around her often talked about her strength and wisdom.  They spoke of the love she had for others and God. I remember her telling me how she walked miles on Sunday to get kids for Sunday School and after church she would walk them all back home. People have spoke of how she always feed, clothed and housed people in need.

Some of my fondest memories were of Mabert and some of the greatest knowledge I have came from her. I remember sitting in the house watching The Young & Restless with her while the other kids played outside. I remember how she would nod off and I would say Mabert you sleep but she would wake up and tell me everything that happened.  I remember the conversation we had when she found out I was pregnant with Zayed and how she said she wouldn't get to see him be born but to "bare down and have that baby." 

She was so strong, she never complained of illness or pain. On her final day, she just peacefully transitioned to heaven after telling us that she was going to have breakfast with her husband( who died before I was born). Listening to her morning spirituals as she did every morning, within 3 minutes of her making that statement, she was gone.

Of all the children, grand children and even great grand children that had come from the Mccoy clan, none ever had the pleasure of sharing the same birth month as Mabert. However, after her death in September, I gave birth to that baby that she said she wouldn't be alive to see on February 9th.  While she may not have been there physically I remembered exactly what she told me, "bare down and have that baby" and that is what is did..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MABERT, REST IN PEACE AND LOVE! #PHATGIRLFRESH

No comments:

Post a Comment