Friday, January 24, 2014

Laughing in the Face of Adversity


I am sure that everyone at some point has fell victim to their assumptions.  I can admit that I have plenty of times, and this situation was no different.  As I prepared for my interview with the beautiful Editor-in-Chief of POSE Magazine, Tiffany Jones Keaton, I found myself replaying the things that I already knew about her.   Editor-in-Chief of POSE, finalist on Monique’s F.A.T Chance in 2006 and a proud mother of what has to be the most adorable little boy.  I even knew that at a point in her life she struggled with capturing her feminine side, although she seems to have mastered it now.  Despite all that I learned about Tip Jones, there was double that I didn't know.

Tip Jones, a beautiful, successful and talented woman.  Tip Jones, loving mother, devoted wife and inspiration to all that come in contact with her.  Tip Jones, a woman who has attempted to take her own life nearly 30 times but was save when she heard, “the voice of God.”  Tip Jones, a woman with a testimony that every woman can identify with in some manner.  Tip Jones, a strong, God fearing woman who is making huge deposits into the bank of life. 

I don’t know where I heard it but the phrase, “thank God, I don’t look like what I have been through,” continues to come to mind as I replay the conversation with Tip.    When she and I begin talking about her life, she explained that she lived a comfortable childhood and even graduated high school with honors at the age of 16 years old.  However, In the midst of all that Tip found herself depressed, taking an assortment of medication, receiving electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and hospitalized.  As she travels back to her final suicide attempt, Tip recalls hearing God say “get up and that is what she did.”  During her hospital stay for this final attempt, Tip says that she made God a promise; “if you allow me to get off these meds without having withdrawals, I will never take them again.”

And so it was, Tip Jones began to walk towards her destiny.  She stated that she began working security jobs but she “knew that her life wasn’t where it was going to stay.”  She like most of us had dreams and although she didn’t know what to call it, she knew at a very young age that she would one day be an entrepreneur.   After attending her first model call with pumps in hand and Timberlands on her feet, Tip attends the casting for Monique’s F.A.T. Chance with little to no expectations.  However, she ended up living in a mansion with other women from all walks of life.  Tip stated that although she “had no job and only $40 in her pocket,” she said to God, “okay, this is my life. 

Now I know that most of you are thinking, wow, great story.  Well it isn’t over.  After laughing in the face of adversity and coming a little closer to her destiny, Tip found herself face to face with death again.  During what is supposed to be one of the happiest times of life, she experiences more hell.  During her pregnancy, Tip became so ill that she “wrote out her will.”   “Once I gave birth, I instantly began to feel better but five days later, I could not walk or hold my son,” Tip stated.  However, once again, Tip laughed in the face of adversity. 

Tip began working in the plus size industry under the wing of pioneer Gwen Devoe, at The Plus Academy.  This is also where her other baby, POSE Magazine was conceived.  Since then the magazine has grown into a major publication that has featured the who’s who in plus size industry.  Although Pose is highly respected, that isn’t good enough for Tip Jones; she is ready to take her baby to the next level. 

With the expansion of the magazine, working on her memoirs, managing her husband’s career and maintaining her other businesses, Tip is a busy woman.  However, she still makes time to pour into the lives of other women.  Tiffany knows that God took her to those low places in her life so that she could one day save other girls and women.  She identifies with the responsibility that has been placed on her life and she doesn’t take it lightly at all.  Tip uses her life’s truth as a map that guides other women to live their best lives. Many women (including me), see her and think she is too fabulous to know their struggles, but those are just assumptions.  The bold, fierce and fearless woman that stands before us is our sister and like so many of us, womanhood did not greet her with a smile.


 Tip Jones is not superwoman.  Nevertheless she is without a doubt; passionate about life, happy with whom she is, appreciative to God for His many blessings and true to herself and others…….. TIP JONES IS P.H.A.T. GIRL FRESH



1 comment:

  1. I just foundy our blog. Love it. I remember you from PHAT Chance. Always thought your were a very amazing young lady. Congrats on the blogging!!

    www.curviebirdie.com

    ReplyDelete