Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Natural Hair






October 25, 2011 was the last time I received a relaxer. I had previously made the decision to make that my last time with the "creamy crack". Honestly the only reason why I relaxed it that time was because Albany State University's homecoming was happening and God forbid I be amongst my friends and former classmates looking a hot mess. I had lost the vast majority of my hair while taking Chemotherapy, you would think my transition would have been easy but it was.  I was holding on to the little bit of hair I had left for dear life.  I was until April 2012 that I felt comfortable enough to snatch that wig of and reveal my natural beauty to the would.  However, since that time, I haven't looked back.


Since I started my natural hair journey, I have learned a lot. Although being natural pales in comparison to spending hundreds each year on hair weave, being natural is not as cheap and easy as I thought. I have several friends who are natural as well, not to mention I have visited a number of sites, read books and sampled products. What I have found is that your head will explode with all the options... Lol!!! What I did was A LOT of product testing, to find something that complimented this bush!! All hair types are different so please be advised that a product that works for me, may not work for you.

I have found a number of great product that work wonders on my hair in the midst of quit a few no-no's. I have also come up with the right routine for me. Since so many people comment on and ask about my hair, I will share.

I wash my hair every two weeks with Creme of Nature sulfate-free shampoo with Moroccan Argon oil. In between washes, I do a co wash with As I Am's Coconut CoWash and Creme of Nature's intensive moisturizing conditioner with Moroccan argon oil. I dry my hair with a white tee shirt(towels absorb your hair's oil). I then add Creme of Nature's leave in conditioner with Moroccan argon oil and a mixture of oils(coconut,tea tree, melted Shea butter and vitamin e), while my hair is damp. I then divide my hair into sections and place it in small pig tails(a method used to stretch curls), if I am not pressed for time. Once my hair is dry, I add Jamaican Castor oil to my roots. Once I take my hair a loose, I apply Design Essential's natural curl stretching cream and pick thru my hair. When it is time to style my hair, I used Hawaiian Silky's gel activator and/or Design Essential's Curl Definer. AND THERE YOU HAVE!!!

All of the products that I used are things that work for me. However, things may be different for you. I will be doing some reviews of other products as time progresses. How so you care for your natural hair?
  



2 comments:

  1. I want to try it because it sounds interesting.Thanks for sharing this product.Jamaican Black Castor Oil

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome!!! Please be advised that a little goes a long long way.

    ReplyDelete